Earned Income Tax Program Sponsored by the Cincinnati Area Chapter of the American Red Cross

There are three things that every person has to do in their life.  You have to eat, you have to sleep, and you have to pay taxes.  You might not need help doing the first two, but the third can be tricky sometimes.  This is why the American Red Cross has agreed to be a site for the Free Tax Prep/Earned Income Tax Program (EITC) for the 2013 tax season.  This program is sponsored by the United Way of Greater Cincinnati through www.MyFreeTaxes.com. Throughout the 2013 tax season, those who qualify, can have their taxes prepared and e-filed for free!  And on Friday, January 25, 2013 the Chapter along with United Way and free tax prep sites around the Tri-State will recognize the Seventh Annual Earned Income Tax Credit Awareness Day.

The Cincinnati Red Cross will be the host for this great opportunity on Wednesdays from 4:00-7:00 and Saturdays from 9:00-1:00 at 2111 Dana Avenue, Cincinnati Ohio.  No appointment is necessary, but candidates must bring identification, social security card, and all tax documents.  Here are the dates for this great opportunity made possible by the American Red Cross of Cincinnati!

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 – 4 to 7pm

Saturday, February 2, 2013 – 9 to 1pm

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 – 4 to 7pm

Saturday, February 9, 2013 – 9 to 1pm

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 – 4 to 7pm

Saturday, February 16, 2013 – 9 to 1pm

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 – 4 to 7pm

Saturday, February 23, 2013 – 9 to 1pm

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 – 4 to 7pm

Go to MyFreeTaxes.com for more information.  To help you prepare for the upcoming tax season, here is a tax preparation checklist with information you need to know!

Step 1: Gather your documents

W-2s for each job held in 2012 for each person in the household, this form reports your name, wages, and other tax information to the IRS

1099s and 1098s showing other income (unemployment, social security, school loans, health care reimbursement, state tax refund, gambling winnings, contract work) that is reported to the IRS

Income/interest statements received for any savings account/investments

Bank account numbers: a voided check or your bank or credit union’s routing number and savings or checking account number for your refund to be deposited automatically into your account through direct deposit

Last year’s tax return (if you have it)

Step 2: Collect information for everyone in your household

Name and taxpayer number as they appear on the Social Security Card (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number letter (ITIN) for you and all dependents (including children and elderly relatives for whom you provide care)

Date of birth and relationship (son, daughter, mother, etc.)

Current address (it may be different from the address on your employment records)

Step 3: Gather additional items to get a larger refund

Childcare expenses: name, address, Tax ID or Social Security Number of the child care provider

Business expenses and assets: if you’re self-employed or have a small business

College: loans and/or scholarships received, and bills for technical/community college or university (Forms 1098-T/1098-E)

Educator expenses for teaching grades K-12 (school supplies and materials used in the classroom)

Charitable donations: list of contributions and amounts, receipts for contributions over $250

Vehicles: vehicle sales tax, personal property tax statement for each car you own, total miles driven for the year and/or total miles driven for business

Renters: amount of rent paid (in some states)

Homeowners: mortgage interest statement (Form 1098), real estate taxes paid, Statement of Property Tax Payable in 2012

Retirement/IRA: amount contributed to an IRA and total value as of December 2012

ITIN: if you need to apply for an ITIN for yourself or a family member, find out what other documents you need to take with you when you get help filing your taxes for free.

Step 4: File your taxes for free through MyFreeTaxes.com.

Step 5: Fill out
Form 8888 to buy tax-time savings bonds using your tax refund.
You have the option to use all or part of your tax refund to purchase Series I U.S. Savings Bonds for as little as $50 and up to $5,000. There is no fee to purchase or cash in bonds and if they are stolen, destroyed or lost, they can be replaced.

Learn more.

Step 6: Keep copies of your forms and tax statements

For your protection, keep any forms used to prepare your taxes and a copy of your return for seven years. This information will make it easier to file your taxes next year.

Download a Tax Checklist to Get Organized to File Your 2012 Taxes

Remember, the deadline to file your taxes is Monday, April 15, 2013.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s